Caring for your Jewellery
Crafted in 14k and 9k Solid Gold, 14k Gold Vermeil and Sterling Silver, all of our jewellery is hand made by talented artisans in Jaipur, India. We are proud that our diamonds, gemstones and materials are ethically sourced and produced.
The quality of our jewellery is extremely important to us and we work closely with our team in Jaipur to ensure that the best materials and processes are used for every product.
This guide will help you to maintain your Carrie Elizabeth pieces for as long as possible. There are many factors that can influence the wear and tear of your jewellery but above all it is important to remember that jewellery is delicate and needs to be looked after carefully so you can enjoy wearing it for many years to come.
We design timeless pieces in both 9k and 14k Solid Gold. Solid Gold should not oxidise or discolour and will stand the test of time and so we highly recommend choosing this option for any jewellery you wish to wear daily such as Engagement rings and Wedding bands or any favourite piece you want to hold onto forever!
The perfect addition to every outfit, follow our top tips for daily wear to ensure these exquisite pieces stay shining bright:
- As it’s a soft metal, gold can be susceptible to bumps, scratches, and dents. Be mindful whilst wearing and always remove when playing sport.
- Take your jewellery off before getting in a pool or spa as exposure to chlorine will weaken the gold’s structure and eventually lead to it breaking.
- Household cleaners with acids or abrasives will damage your jewellery’s finish. We recommend using rubber gloves or removing your jewellery whilst cleaning.
- Put your jewellery on last when getting ready as makeup, perfume, hairspray, and lotions can damage the appearance of your gold.
- Don’t wear your jewellery in the bath or shower as a build up of products will leave a soapy film on the gold.
To ensure your gorgeous solid gold jewels continue to gleam we recommend regular cleaning, which can easily be done at home:
Simply add a few drops of mild washing up liquid to a bowl of lukewarm water and soak your solid gold jewellery for about 15 to 30 minutes. Don't use hot or boiling water, especially if your jewellery contains fragile precious stones. Equally, don't use freezing cold water because any dirt will become harder to remove. After soaking, gently scrub with a soft-bristle toothbrush (the softer the better!) to remove any hidden grime lodged in nooks and crannies. Next, rinse each piece in warm running water to remove any remaining dirt. Finally, lightly blot dry with a soft cloth and let the jewellery sit out on a towel to air dry completely before wearing.
Gold Vermeil (pronounced ver-mey) is Sterling Silver which has been coated with 2.5 microns of 14k gold plate (which means its super thick and longer lasting!). It strikes the perfect balance of high quality at an affordable price – making it ideal for those, who just like us, are looking for “affordable luxury”.
Using the highest quality materials and process, Gold Vermeil is far more durable than other gold plated options and can last for years. However, if worn continuously (especially rings) the gold plate can start to wear away after 6 months. In this instance, we will not be able to offer a refund as this is not a fault in the product, but rather the nature of wear and tear. We can offer a replating service at a small fee, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
To maintain the stunning Gold Vermeil finish for as long as possible, please follow our recommendations for care:
- Remove jewellery when washing your hands, showering or swimming because water and chemicals (especially chlorine) can affect the longevity of the gold plating. This is especially important for rings, as they suffer wear and tear much more than other jewellery types since we use our hands for everything we do.
- Put your jewellery on last when getting ready as makeup, perfume, hairspray, and lotions can affect the beauty and shine of your Gold Vermeil
- To clean your jewellery and restore its shine we recommend that you use a jewellery polishing cloth to gently rub the surface. Do not use a polishing agent or abrasive liquids as these will wear away the layers of gold.
Sterling Silver is an alloy made up of 92.5% pure Silver and 7.5% Copper. This alloy is used for jewellery making as it is far more durable than pure silver alone. You can easily identify Sterling Silver as all pieces are stamped with “925” (Gold Vermeil also has this stamp as it is Sterling Silver coated with a thick gold plate).
The nature of Sterling Silver is that it can oxidise when it comes into contact with air and so Gold Vermeil and Silver jewellery can both be prone to tarnishing. This is not a fault and can be easily remedied. We recommend gently rubbing your jewellery with a specialised cleaning cloth to restore its shine and keep it looking at its best.
We pride ourselves on the quality and beauty of our semi precious gemstones, all produced in the largest stone cutting and polishing centre of the world, Jaipur! Each stone is expertly cut from rocks (known as “roughs”) which are sourced from all over the world!
All of our semi precious gemstones are completely natural meaning that each stone is unique to you! There can be variations in colour and pattern within our stones, however we feel that this just adds to their natural beauty. Each stone is carefully selected and considered for every design to ensure maximum “wow” factor!
To care for your gemstones and ensure they keep their original beauty we recommend taking the following steps:
- Do not keep jewellery in direct sunlight and remove it whilst sunbathing. Extreme temperatures and strong UV rays can cause gemstones to fade in colour and shine.
- Remove jewellery when washing your hands,showering or swimming because water and chemicals (especially chlorine) can dull gemstones.
- Be mindful of any knocks or bumps when wearing semi precious gemstones and always remove jewellery when exercising.
Rare, beautiful and sought after…diamonds truly are forever! The hardest known natural material, diamonds derive their name from the ancient Greek αδάμας meaning “unbreakable”! However, beware, diamonds can still chip from a hard fall or impact and so take special care when wearing and ensure to keep them safely stored away in their original jewellery box.
To keep your diamonds in sparkling condition we recommend regular cleaning:
Use lukewarm water with mild washing up liquid and a very soft toothbrush (the softer the better) to gently clean away any dirt and grime. Then rinse (again in lukewarm water), blot dry and leave to air dry before wearing or storing.
We are committed to ensuring that all of the diamonds used in our products are ethically and responsibly sourced.
Store your treasured pieces safely in a dry, fabric lined jewellery box (your original Carrie Elizabeth box is perfect!) or a soft fabric pouch.
If possible, store each piece individually to prevent any tangling or scratching.
If you intend to store your jewellery for a long time without wearing, please wrap it in an airtight bag within your jewellery box to help ward off tarnishing!
Every piece of Carrie Elizabeth Jewellery bought directly from our website is covered by a 6 month warranty upon receipt of a valid proof of purchase. Solid Gold items are covered by a 12 month warranty. Our products are very delicate, therefore occasionally we do have faulty items. If this happens to you, please get in touch with us at email@example.com and include your order number, description and images of the faulty product.